Wednesday, August 14, 2013

WHAT ARE WE DOING NOW?

Now that we have made the transition out of the pastorate, some have asked what we are doing now?  Where are we "going to church" now?  What kind of church services are we attending now?

Interestingly enough, however, no one has asked, "What is God doing in your lives now?"  I blame this on the fact that we have a skewed view of what the Bible teaches about the church.  I have often said in this blog that we have a wrong understanding of what "church" is.  I attribute this to the wrong teaching that has been prevalent over the years.  This wrong teaching began as early as 400 AD.

When God led us to our last assignment, we had been outside the box of organized religion for better than six years.   We were happy and content doing what we were doing for God.  Then when God led us to make this move it was quite an adjustment for us.  It was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  It was difficult and challenging at times, but our ultimate goal then, as now, was to obey God and do His will.  This we did with everything we had in us.

Now that God has led us back outside the box of organized religion we are, once again, enjoying the freedom that I believe God desires every believer to have.  It's like a breath of fresh air.  Someone asked recently if I miss preparing a message?  My answer?  Nope.  When God is done and leads you on He does so completely.

Now to address the questions I started off this blog post with.  We are staying quite busy.  Of course I remain working full time and Cindy has a part time job with very flexible hours.  We believe God provided that job for her.  God has opened many doors for us to go sing.  It looks as though we will be doing some major traveling next year with doors opening up potentially in Alabama, Missouri, South Carolina who who knows where else?  Many opportunities have opened up here in the Central Illinois area, as well.  I've even had a couple of opportunities to fill the pulpit for vacationing pastors.  It's been exciting to see what God is doing in this area.  

Where are we going to church now?  I have written previous blog posts regarding the Scripture's teaching on being the church as opposed to going to this institution we call church.  I do firmly believe we should gather with our brothers and sisters as the Word instructs us to.  However, the method, way, time and structure that has become so common is a foreign concept to the New Testament church.  We do gather with other believers.  We do fellowship and look forward to having opportunities to share what God is doing in each of our lives.  

We do attend an organized church service from time to time.  For some, that is all they know.  If that is where they are in their spiritual journey, who am I to discourage that?  I'll not criticize them for where they are.  On the other hand they ought not criticize me for where we are.

At one time, I struggled with going into these organized churches to sing.  I was praying and seeking God's direction on this.  He spoke to my heart very clearly and stated we are to minister to God's people wherever they meet and in what ever mode or fashion they meet.  From that day on, I have not questioned God.   We go in to edify, exhort, and encourage God's people wherever they are.  

I continue to blog and plan to do so more frequently than I have over the past couple of months.  We have looked into starting a podcast, but have not yet done so.  I'll announce that in my blog and on Facebook when we have the podcast up and running.

If you would like to connect with me on Facebook you may do so by sending me a friend request at www.facebook.com/rayspellbrink 

I say with full confidence today, THE BEST IS YET TO COME!  There is absolutely no doubt about that.  

Until next time...enjoy the journey!

Ray

Thanks for taking your time to read and share this blog. If you know of someone who would be encouraged by this blog, please feel free to forward a link or use the icons below to repost this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment