Saturday, April 14, 2012

SPIRITUAL WELFARE


One morning a couple of weeks ago as I was driving to work I received what I call an "inspired thought".  I believe it was inspired because I believe it came directly from God during my drive prayer time.  Knowing there was no way I would be able to remember it, I grabbed my handy dandy Blackberry and hit the voice note button so I could add it to my voice notes and come back and pick it up later.  It's a good thing I did that!  Sure enough, by the time I arrived at work I had forgotten the thought.  This old age thing is not fun in some ways!

The Spirit of God spoke these words in to my spirit that morning, "We want the benefit of God's blessing without having to live a life God can bless."  Is that profound, or what?  Again, you can tell this was an "inspired thought" - especially those of you who know me, huh?

Too often, we hear others share about how much they want to be blessed.  I do believe God wants to bless us more than we want to be blessed.  I've said that for years.  God desires to open the windows of heaven and pour it on!  Wow!  I get excited just thinking about that.  

The truth of the matter is we have responsibilities as Christians to live a life pleasing to God if we desire to obtain the blessings of God.  The problem is we want the blessings without the responsibilities.  It's like spiritual welfare!  We don't want to have to do anything, but we expect God to provide and take care of us.  We ignore Him.  We don't read His Word or talk with Him in prayer.  We don't want to live a life pleasing to Him, yet we want Him - in fact many expect Him  to bless them.  Not only bless them, but bless them in a big way.  

When God doesn't meet our expectations we complain about Him, His people, His work and then we do what people have done since Jesus walked this earth.  We find fault!  Here's a news flash - It's easy to find fault!  Anyone can do that.  

Of course, there's no fault to be found in Jesus.  It's easy to point fingers at others, too.  I submit if you really want to find fault, look in the mirror.  That's the best place to begin.  

If the blessings of God seem to be eluding you, how about a little soul searching?  How about praying what David prayed?  "Search me, O God, and know my heart:  try me, and know my thoughts:  and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting"  (Psalm 139:23-24).  I dare you to pray that prayer!  But be prepared for God to begin revealing things to you.  

Let's get off spiritual welfare, search out our lives, make things right with God, do our part and live a life God can bless and then watch see what God will do!

Until next time, enjoy the journey!

Ray  

1 comment:

  1. Good thought. And Ps 139:23-24 is a song, but I bet you knew that.

    ReplyDelete