Tuesday, May 29, 2012

LET'S BE FAT CHRISTIANS!

In this day of emphasis on being fit and trim I want to encourage you to be a FAT Christian.  That sounds like an odd statement, doesn't it?  But let's look at how I am referring to being FAT.  When I say FAT I mean:

Faithful
Available
Teachable

Let's look at each one of these.

Faithful
When I speak of faithfulness, I'm not talking about faithfulness to the organized church or the organization itself.  I'm speaking of faithfulness to God and the organic expression of church life.

There's no life in an organization.  An organization exists as a legal entity, but there's no life in an organization.

The organic expression of church life is focused on Jesus. Jesus is life! There is life in the things of God. There is life wherever Jesus is central.

Organic church life is a grassroots experience that is marked by face to face community, every member functioning, open participatory meetings, non-hierarchical leadership and the centrality and supremacy of Jesus Christ as the functional leader and head of the group.

In a nutshell, I'm talking about allowing Jesus to truly be Lord and fleshing this out in a genuine manner.

Available
In today's society - even church life - we are much too busy doing the things of God that we are not available to the God of the things.  This is sadly true of most Christians these days.  As believers, we need to make ourselves available to God.  A couple lines of an old song comes to mind, "I'm available for God to use me, I'm available if God should choose me."  Are you available today?

Teachable
Its imperative we retain a teachable spirit in our spiritual lives.  Failure to do so will limit our growth in God thereby limiting our effectiveness for Him.

We won't "arrive" in our knowledge of God until we are walking down those golden streets of heaven.  Until that time, we need to maintain a teachable spirit if we desire to continue to grow in God's grace.

Faithful, Available, Teachable.  Let's be FAT Christians for Jesus.

Until next time, enjoy the journey!

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment