Monday, August 19, 2013

GOD-STRONG OR MAN-STRONG: WHAT KIND OF FAITH DO YOU HAVE?

In this world in which we live today we need a faith that is God-strong.  I'm talking God-strong as opposed to man-strong.  Our faith should be firmly entrenched in the One who made man in His image.  

We like to bring God down to our level and pin our weaknesses on Him.  If we put our faith in man, we will be let down somewhere along with way without a doubt.  You see man will fail you. Maybe not intentionally, but it will happen.  I don't want my faith to be in man.  I don't want my faith to be in my brothers and sisters in Christ.  My faith - our faith - must be in Jesus!  He's the One who will never fail.  He's the one who will never let us down. 

Too often, today, we have what could best be termed as a practical faith.  As long as things are going well and there are no issues in our lives our "faith" is strong.  As long as we aren't facing any valleys or difficult times in our lives we feel good about our "faith".  However, when a trial comes our way we tend to feel like God has forsaken us.  We think we are in a valley and won't ever get out.  We ask, "Why, God, why?"

Can this really be considered faith?  Is this the type of faith God desires for His people to have?  I encourage you to take some time and read Hebrews chapter 11 to see some great examples of faith.  I love the fact these examples were not perfect people.  Many were flawed people. Some were disobedient to God at times.  Yet, they made it to what I call "God's Hall of Faith" in Hebrews 11. 

At one time, the disciples asked Jesus to increase their faith (Luke 17:5).  The disciples apparently felt the need to ask Jesus for an increased or greater faith to meet the standard Jesus set.  Jesus went on to teach His disciples the amount of faith is not as important as the quality of the faith you have.  God has always dealt in quality as opposed to quantity (Luke 17: 6; Mark 11:22-23).

I recall a time in the past when I asked the Lord to increase my faith.  You know what?  He did it!  I searched God's Word on the subject of faith.  I looked at the many examples of faith in the Word.  It's important to go to God's Word for your study.  Paul wrote in Romans 10:17, "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God."

I want to encourage you to have a God-strong faith.  Put your faith and your confidence in God.  He will never let you down.  

Until next time...enjoy the journey!

Ray


No comments:

Post a Comment