Saturday, January 5, 2013

FOR I HAVE DETERMINED...

I am now back in the saddle writing my blog.  This is my first blog post of the new year.  I trust it will be a blessing to you and will challenge you as you walk with the Savior.

How many of you have made New Year's resolutions in the past?  How many of you have made them for this year?  I have made them in the past and by the end of January I've broken every one of them.  Oh, I start out with good intentions, but it doesn't take much to get me derailed.  Perhaps I'm not alone there.


If we don't form some definite resolutions – make some determinations - from time to time, our lives will be devoid of sovereign purpose and therefore fruitless.

Let me share with you, if I may, some determinations I have made in my own life for this year.  I prefer to "determinations" to "resolutions".  Some would say there isn't much difference, but for me there is. Please indulge me as I share my determinations. 

First off, I determine to set Jesus ever before me. David wrote I have set the Lord always before me: because He is at my right hand, I shall not be moved ( Psalm 16:8). We should determine in every place, every condition, every circumstance, every joy, every victory we will say, “Lord, abide here before me.” Make it personal. I will practice the presence of Jesus . If we make that kind of determination in our lives, it will so revolutionize things that each of us will be able to say as David said, “I shall not be moved!”

Secondly, I determine to show myself approved unto God. This, of course, is done through the study of God's Word. Paul in writing to young Timothy said, Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth (2 Timothy 2:15). The godly man and woman is a man and women of meditation - that is meditaion on God's Word (Ps 1:2-3). This is the key to real prosperity in your Christian walk. Joshua said, This book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make they way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success (Joshua 1:8).

Picture, if you will, a ship was wrecked and began to sink. The life boats had been placed in the water and were boarded. They realized they didn't know which way to go. Two sailors rushed back to the sinking ship because they forgot the compass. As we set sail on the unknown sea of a new year, we must be sure we have the Compass. That compass is the Word of God. The psalmist wrote, Thy Word have I hid in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee (Psalm 119:11).

Thirdly, I determine to take my place as a prayer warrior. Scripture tells us, Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints (Ephesians 6:18). I believe the primary need of God's work today is men and women of prayer! This is even more important than sermons This is more important than any single thing we do when we gather as believers. I'm not talking about this half-hearted prayer that so many professing Christians practice today – if they practice at all. I'm talking about grabbing hold of the horns of the altar and praying until you touch heaven type of prayer. Satan laughs at our activities when Christians approach prayer half-heartedly

Joshua is a good example of one who made a determination to serve God. The Bible tells us, in part, in Joshua 24:15 ...choose you this day whom ye will serve...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!  Joshua made a determination.  As believers embarking on the dawn of a new year, we too, should make some determinations.

Who will join me in making some determinations to serve God is a greater way in 2013?  Let's be all we can be for God.  Let's allow God to be God in our lives this year - day by day.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Until next time...enjoy the journey!

Ray

Thanks for taking your time to read and share this blog. If you know of someone who would be encouraged by this blog, please feel free to forward a link or use the icons below to repost this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment