Friday, September 27, 2013

RESCUED WHILE LIVING ON THE EDGE

Scripture Reading - Psalm 94:17-19 Unless the Lord had been my help, my soul had almost dwelt in silence. When I said, My foot slippeth; they mercy, O Lord, held me up. In the multitude of my thoughts within me thy comforts delight my soul.

THE MESSAGE “If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. The minute I said, 'I'm slipping, I'm falling,' Your love, God, took hold and held me fast. When I was upset and beside myself, You calmed me down and cheered me up.”

The psalmist found himself in deep trouble. Evil people rose up against him (Vs 16). He felt like he was on the edge of his very existence. He longed for help while living on the edge.

Do you ever find yourself feeling like you are living on the edge? Friends and even family turn against you? You feel like you are coming to the end of your rope. You are living on the edge. This man of God felt this way. He felt his life was even in danger. “...My soul had almost dwelt in silence” (Vs 17). “...My foot slippeth...” (Vs 18). Do you ever feel like you're slipping away? Let's look at how God rescued this slipping servant.

We must realize first and foremost that God did, indeed, help him. “Unless the Lord had been my help...” (Vs 17). Many troubled believers have found the Lord to be their help in difficult times. God's Word speaks of this numerous times. We can see this in Scriptures such as “God is...a very present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1); “My help cometh from the Lord...” (Psalm 121:1:2); “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).

How many of us have found ourselves in need of help from the Lord from time to time in our lives? I know I certainly have. How many find ourselves in need of His help today?
Charles Spurgeon said, “Without the Lord's help the psalmist declares he would have died and gone into the silent land where no more testimonies for the living God can be given”
You've, no doubt, heard the expression “God helps those who help themselves.” The reality is God helps those who cannot help themselves.

The psalmist said God held him up. “...Thy mercy, O Lord, held me up” (Vs 18). “Mercy” is God not giving us what we do deserve. Mercy arrived when his foot was slipping! He was rescued by the everlasting arms of God! And those arms still rescue today! It has been said, “God is never in a hurry, but He's always right on time.” I've found this to be true in my life. God meets us where we are. He meets us when we're tempted (1 Corinthians 10:13). He meets us when we're being tested. He meets us when we're in the valley. He meets us when we feel like giving up. How long will God's mercy last? How long will God's mercy hold us up? God's mercy follows “...us all the days of our lives” (Psalm 23:6). Praise God His mercy endures forever! “Praise ye the Lord, O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good: for His mercy endureth forever” (Psalm 106:1)

Note also that that God comforted the psalmist. “...Thy comforts delight my soul” (Vs 19).
The comfort of the Lord delighted his soul. His fears fled as comfort relieved his anxiety. The Holy Spirit is our Comforter in times of need (John 14:16-18). Jesus comforts every troubled heart. He gives assurance of salvation to those who trust Him (John 6:37). He gives peace to troubled hearts (John 14:27). Bring your cares and anxieties to Jesus and find peace. Jesus said in John 16:33 “These things I have spoken unto you, that in Me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world”

Jesus extends a compassionate call to those living on the edge. “Whosoever will may come.” Jesus stands ready to help, comfort and keep you. He waits on you to invite Him to help. Whatever your need, Jesus is here to meet it. Won't you let Him?

Until next time...enjoy the journey!

Ray

Thanks for taking your time to read and share this blog. If you know of someone who would be encouraged by this blog, please feel free to forward a link or use the icons below to repost this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment