Saturday, March 17, 2012

SONGS OF PRAISE

It has been said that "music has charms to calm the savage beast".  There is a lot of truth to those words.  I remember when I was a young boy riding my bike.  I happened upon a German shepherd who wanted to chase me on my bike.  I remember getting off of my bike and walking it while the dog was barking ferociously at me.  The only thing I could think to do was sing to the dog.  That's right, I sang to the dog!  I don't recall exactly what it was I sang, but I do remember that the singing worked!  That dog calmed down and just stared at me.  Maybe it was in shock that someone was singing to it. I don't know, but I do know it worked.  I sang and kept walking my bike. 

I believe music plays a big role in the heart and mind of God.  In fact, right there in the middle of the Bible is the book of Psalms.  Psalms are songs they sang.  There are songs of praise, songs of despair, songs of celebration, songs of repentance and even prayers were sung.  How awesome is that?  There's nothing quite like singing praises to God, or lifting up Jesus through music.

As a singer and musician I truly enjoy playing my instrument and singing to God.  It doesn't matter to me if I'm singing the old hymns of the church, contemporary praise and worship songs or a song that God has given me. Any time we praise Him and sing to Him it's all good.  

Our church hosted our annual Spring Sing this afternoon.  It was, without a doubt, one of the best sings we've had here in Atterberry.  None of the groups were entertainers, but rather were there to minister, lift up Jesus, encourage God's people and have a good time doing it.  As I observed those in attendance throughout the afternoon I witnessed tears, laughter, praise and worship.  As the groups gathered for prayer before the sing, we prayed the songs would minister and meet the needs of those who were there.  We prayed the songs would encourage those who need encouragement, bring peace to those with troubled spirits, comfort to those in despair and joy to those who were down.  We seen all these things happen.

Wow.  The power of anointed music!  Have you ever sang to Jesus?  Give it a try.  It will make a difference in your life!

Until next time, enjoy the journey!

Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment