Wednesday, February 6, 2013

SEVEN WORDS THAT WILL KILL A CHURCH

We've never done it that way before! or But we've always done it this way!  Perhaps these words have come through your lips in the past.  Maybe that's the way you feel right now.  Why do we need to change?  We've always done things this way.  I like knowing what to expect.  I'm comfortable with the way things are.  I don't adapt well to change.

I think, perhaps many feel this way.  I know it seems like that's what I've been writing about in my blog of late.  I told my wife earlier this week that life would be a lot easier for me if I would leave this subject alone and quit writing about it.  However, I can not and will not compromise what God has put on my heart.  I figure He has laid these things on my heart for a reason.  Maybe some of you reading this blog are the very reason God has moved me to write these things.

I do think we get too comfortable with the status quo.  We really don't like things to change that much in our lives.  That goes for both the natural things as well as the spiritual things.  But for the purpose of this blog I am looking at the spiritual things.  We often find ourselves in somewhat of a rut.  Yes, I said it.  Church life can become a mundane thing in the best of institutional church settings.  Think about it.  In the typical church service of any institutional church setting you have certain things that will always happen and most often in the same order week after week.  How boring does that get?  For me, personally, I get bored quite easily in this setting.

I believe church life should be organic.  Organic church life is spontaneous, liberating and life-giving.  It should bring with it the assurance that God is in control when we gather.  We shouldn't know whom, if anyone, God will move on to minister to the church body when we gather.  It should be an unstructured gathering - nothing scripted.  Dare I say it?  No bulletin!  Wow!  Some of you now are ready to call me a heretic!

Ministry gifts are just that - ministry gifts.  The apostle, prophet, evangelist, pastor and teacher are gifts Jesus gave to His church (Ephesians 4:11-16).  The purposes of these gifts are for the maturing of the believers and bringing them into unity.  These are gifts, not positions in the church.  We've had wrong thinking about that for many years.

God desires to bring us out of our comfort zones and into His presence.  Think about it.  Holy Spirit led Christians gathering together in the Name of Jesus are a Holy Spirit led church!  Wow!  Consider the possibilities in God!

If, on the other hand, you are interested in killing your church and stifling any move of God just continue to say those seven words that can kill and church...We've never done it that way before!

Until next time...enjoy the journey!

Ray

Thanks for taking your time to read and share this blog. If you know of someone who would be encouraged by this blog, please feel free to forward a link or use the icons below to repost this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment