Friday, June 18, 2021

God Uses Broken Things

 


In this world, broken things are despised and thrown out. Anything we no longer need or want we simply throw away. Damaged goods are rejected, and that often includes people. The world is full of people with broken hearts, broken spirits and broken relationships. 

Who among us hasn’t felt broken in some area of life at times? The Bible has some things to say about brokenness.

Psalm 34:18 CSB

The LORD is near the brokenhearted; he saves those crushed in spirit.

God keeps Himself accessible to the broken-hearted and is always on hand to rescue the crushed in spirit. There is something about reaching a breaking point that causes us to seek God more sincerely.

King David was once a broken man, and he prayed:

God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me…The sacrifice pleasing to God is a broken spirit. You will not despise a broken and humbled heart, God (Psalm 51:10,17 CSB).

The Believers Bible Commentary puts David’s thoughts from these two verses this way, “Looking back, I realize that the trouble all started in my mind. My thought-life was polluted. I entertained evil thoughts until at last I committed the sins. So now I ask that You create in me a clean mind. I know that if the fountain is clean, the stream flowing from it will be clean as well. Yes, Lord, renew my entire inner self so it will be steadfast in guarding against future outbreaks of sin. I come to You with a broken heart - that is the sacrifice You require. You will not despise this shattered and contrite heart that I bring to You.”

There are some things in our lives that need to be broken. Things such as pride, self-will, stubbornness, attitudes and sinful habits, for example, all need to be broken and removed from our lives. When we are broken, God responds accordingly.

Isaiah 57:15 CSB

For the High and Exalted One, who lives forever, whose name is holy, says this: "I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed.

The God who dwells in the high and holy place also dwells in the humble and contrite heart. When we humble our hearts to God in genuine brokenness He hears us. He revives us and brings us back to a useful place in Him.

It’s wonderful to know that God has a history of using broken things as well as broken people. If, like me, you feel there are times in your life you feel broken for one reason or another - have hope. You are never too broken where God can’t find all the pieces and put you back together. You are something special in the eyes, mind and plan of God. He specializes in taking the broken and making something beautiful.

Until next time...enjoy the journey,


Ray

Thanks for taking your time to read and share this blog. If you know of someone who would be encouraged by this blog, please feel free to forward  a link or use the icons below to repost or forward this blog.

Check out my website at www.rayspellbrink.com

No comments:

Post a Comment